Sporadic Wrong Version errors

PowerMac G4/mirrored dual CD/DVD drives, Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.236 with an OnStream Firewire 30GB ADR drive.

Every once in a while (particularly after waking the computer from sleep), I get a "wrong version" message from Retrospect. Rebooting and restarting the backup cures the problem.

I did not begin experiencing this problem until Jaguar and 5.0.236 of Workgroup.

And help or ideas would be appreciated.

BTW, I can't currently check or upgrade the firmware on the OnStream drive yet as they don't offer a Mac firmware updater yet (I have contacted them for info).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, this bug continues to randomly plague my Retrospect Workgroup and firewire tape drive, even after the upgrade.

I believe that I have discovered a crappy workaround though. It appears that I can avoid getting the "wrong version" error by following these steps:

1.) When the autolaunch begins, click stop and elect to defer the script execution until quit.

2.) Go to the Configure tab and select devices

3.) Wait for Retrospect to show all the devices

4.) Quit Retrospect and when prompted, click "Run script"

As I've previously stated, restarting the computer also fixes the problem, but causes me to either miss a day of backup, or manually run one.

By defering the script, checking devices, and then resuming the script, the wrong version error appears to be avoided. My guess is that I'm directly causing something to be "woken up" that doesn't happen properly when the script begins to access the drive in an automated state.

It's difficult to say whether I'm really avoiding the error at this point, or just getting lucky - I will post an update if the problem happens even when I am following this procedure.

Again, please note that this error didn't start happening until some time after the Jaguar compatible release of workgroup.

In reply to:

Again, please note that this error didn't start happening until some time after the Jaguar compatible release of workgroup.

In addition to upgrading your operating system.

From the Retrospect Read Me:

Tape Drives and Mac OS X 10.2.x. Dantz has seen several cases where tape drives are not visible to Retrospect running in Mac OS X 10.2.x. This is due to a timing issue with tape drives not responding quickly enough during device discovery. Apple has been made aware of this issue. Until this issue is resolved by Apple, turning the tape drive on several seconds before starting the computer should allow Retrospect to see the drive.

---

If your system is going to sleep, the tape drive may be losing proper contact with the computer, at which point, Retrospect will not communicate properly. I've been testing a VXA-1 Firewire drive on my desk for the past few weeks with a G4 and OS 10.2.3 and have not seen any issues when waking the computer from sleep (which is does about every other hour).

Try setting your system not to sleep for a few days - does the problem go away?

Archived