Cant' Backup since upgrade to OS X 10.2

Hi!,

I have not been able to sucessfully run a backup since I upgraded to Jaguar. I am trying to backup a Snap! server and have never experienced a problem before the OS upgrade. Since the upgrade Retrospect sucessfully scans the Snap! drive (mounted to my mac) and as soon as Retrospect tries write to a output device OS X dies painfully. A OS X message pops up on the screen with a register dump and I have to do a cold boot. I have tried backing up to both my tape drive and a file set backup residing on a FireWire drive. I have performed a complete uninstall/reinstall and applied the 5.0.238 patch and driver update.

My hardware config is as follows:

System: new iMac 800mhz

Tape Drive: OnStream FW-30

FireWire Drive: VST FWFH100

OS X: 10.2.3 (just upgraded from 10.2.2 hoping it would help)

Any help is very much appreciated. I'm at my wits end.

THANKS!!!!

In reply to:

Retrospect sucessfully scans the Snap! drive (mounted to my mac) and as soon as Retrospect tries write to a output device OS X dies painfully. A OS X message pops up on the screen with a register dump and I have to do a cold boot.

I'd start by disconnecting your two FireWire devices, and attempt a (limited) backup of the Snap! volume to the internal drive.

What exactly do you mean by an "OS X Message?" Does the Console application open and display a Retrospect.crash.log window?

Why do you have to reboot the Macintosh? How exactly does it behave?

Dave

Dave,

The error message I'm recieving says the following:

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or presss the Restart Button.

The message is repeated in French, Spanish and Japanese (I think). A hex address and the IP address of my machine is displayed on the bottom of the message. Prior to the message being displayed the screen dims and the message is displayed in a box that is not dimmed.

The console windows does not open and the Retrospect log does not indicate an error. Is there another Retrospect log file I can check other than the one that is available under the Reports menu?

I tried your suggestion of disconnecting my FireWire devices and running a limited backup up set to my local drive. The results were unfortunately the same.

Thanks for the suggestions!! Do you have any others?

Regards,

michael

In reply to:

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or presss the Restart Button.

What you're seeing is an OS X kernel panic. Not a pretty sight (although much friendlier then they were before OS X 10.2). And not something I'd expect to see with an iMac, as these are almost always related to hardware (such as unsupported SCSI host adapter cards, etc).

Do you have any other external devices on the iMac, either FireWire or USB?

If you use Retrospect to backup other data (such as the internal hard drive) without the Snap server mounted, is it successful?

Dave

Archived