auto-mounting a source volume

I'm running Retrospect Workgroup Backup 5.0.238 on Mac OS X Server 10.2.2. Apparently Retrospect doesn't want to auto-mount any source volumes at backup time as described in the tutorial at http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27635.

I can back the remote machines up if I first mount their volumes then initiate a backup, but if I use Volumes > Configure to store the password and then unmount the volume, the backup fails regardless of whether my backup is immediate or scripted. If I do an immediate backup, an alert comes up "Automatic server login is not supported by the current system software." A scripted backup adds this to the operations log: "Can't access volume XXXX, error -50 (feature not supported). Execution incomplete."

Could this actually be an OS problem? Has automounting been tested with Retrospect running on 10.2.x? Both remote machines' networking facilities appear to be functioning properly in every other way, and as I mention above, even retrospect works fine as long as the volumes are already present.

I need this feature because the machines in question are unable to run the TCP/IP client due to their advanced age. In fact, I counted on this feature when I approved the upgrade to Retrospect 5, and I'm kind of in some hot water right now. I will be authentically grateful to anyone who can shed some light on this issue. :-)

Thanks very much! Jason

"Don't anthropomorphize computers -- they hate it."

In reply to:

Apparently Retrospect doesn't want to auto-mount any source volumes at backup time as described in the tutorial at

If I do an immediate backup, an alert comes up "Automatic server login is not supported by the current system software." A scripted backup adds this to the operations log: "Can't access volume XXXX, error -50 (feature not supported). Execution incomplete."

Could this actually be an OS problem? Has automounting been tested with Retrospect running on 10.2.x? Both remote machines' networking facilities appear to be functioning properly in every other way, and as I mention above, even retrospect works fine as long as the volumes are already present.

I need this feature because the machines in question are unable to run the TCP/IP client due to their advanced age. In fact, I counted on this feature when I approved the upgrade to Retrospect 5, and I'm kind of in some hot water right now. I will be authentically grateful to anyone who can shed some light on this issue. :-)

Jason,

How about providing some specific information about your setup?

What version of Retrospect are you running?

What version of Mac OS X is Retrospect running on?

What version of Mac OS are the remote AFP "servers" running?

I've never seen either of the dialog boxes you're reporting. It'll be interesting to learn from you what software you're seeing it on.

Dave

The Retrospect server is running Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.238 under Mac OS X 10.2.2. The backups are being written to a DLT4 drive and to a mirrored software RAID, but this error is coming up before Retrospect even tries to talk to any output device.

The two AFP machines in question are a Quadra running Mac OS 7.6 and a Centris running either 7.6 or 7.5.3. I'll post an update to confirm but that will hopefully give you some idea.

In reply to:

The two AFP machines in question are a Quadra running Mac OS 7.6 and a Centris running either 7.6 or 7.5.3.

I was just able to successfully auto-mount a shared volume from a PowerMac 8100 running Mac OS 7.6 using Retrospect 5.0.236 on Mac OS X 10.2.3.

So it's not the version of system software running on either machine that is the cause.

But I can't find a working '040 based Macintosh to try this with. I only recently gave away my last Quadra (it got a good home).

Dave

Archived