A couple of questions

lynnmorrison

I need some info on a couple of things...

- Before I just upgraded and after, I still have a problem with the Retrospect service not being started up. I cannot even run it manually... so this disables me from running any kind of automated backup. I have tolerated it and just do it manually, but would really like to get this going...

- I always get failures backing up my C drive, but only that drive. On the compare, I get about 20 errors saying the files have changed. These files all belong in a "Prefetch ... " directory on my XP system. I am assuming its some kind of caching, but am not sure. Should I worry about this error?

- Every time I try to run the retrospect client, it says it can't connect to the server because there is no service running. Perhaps this is related to my first question, but if it is not, I would like to explore this functionality.

- If I have a drive that is beginning to fail, should I cease trying to back it up? IOW, some clusters are being marked as bad on a routine checkdisk but I had backed up a few times after the bad clusters emerged. In fact, I didn't know they were going bad until I had some read errors, so I assume that a couple of backups prior to that may have tried to backup from the bad parts of the hard drive?

Thank you for any info you may offer me...

In reply to:

- Before I just upgraded and after, I still have a problem with the Retrospect service not being started up. I cannot even run it manually... so this disables me from running any kind of automated backup. I have tolerated it and just do it manually, but would really like to get this going...

The service which autolaunches Retrospect, the Launcher, may not be working correctly. Reinstall it by doing the following:

Go to Configure>Preferences and click Unattended. Uncheck "Enable Retrospect Launcher service." Now quit and restart your PC. Launch Retrospect and check "Enable Retrospect Launcher." Now quit and restart again.

Were you logged in as administrator during install? If not, uninstall and reinstall Retrospect when logged in as administrator.

Do you currently log in as administrator? If you manually launch Retrospect as a non-administrator, you'll always see the error about the Launcher Service on quit.

In reply to:

- I always get failures backing up my C drive, but only that drive. On the compare, I get about 20 errors saying the files have changed. These files all belong in a "Prefetch ... " directory on my XP system. I am assuming its some kind of caching, but am not sure. Should I worry about this error?

If the errors are about different modify date/time errors, this means the file changed during the backup. This is typically nothing to worry about if you know the file was in use during the backup.

In reply to:

- Every time I try to run the retrospect client, it says it can't connect to the server because there is no service running. Perhaps this is related to my first question, but if it is not, I would like to explore this functionality.

Please list actual error messages.

In reply to:

- If I have a drive that is beginning to fail, should I cease trying to back it up? IOW, some clusters are being marked as bad on a routine checkdisk but I had backed up a few times after the bad clusters emerged.

The best route would be to do a backup - replace the drive and try to restore to the new drive.

Archived