REMOTE Client config

fivespan

Why does the server not provide complete cofiguration of the client settings? I would like to be able to manage all client settings remotely and possibly even lock them down.

How about a checkbox that sets the client to make it SEEM like the induhviduals have control. Nuk nuk. OK, they can still define 'private files'.

Would it not make sense to give IT the option?

• 6 months later...

Quote:

AmyJ said:

I've heard that some users, in OS 9, would make the Client control panel invisible. However, I don't know of a way to do this in OS X or Windows.

As long as you have admin privileges, it is easy enough to change the permissions on the Retrospect Client folder so that no one but the owner (which should be root or an admin personality) has permission to even open the folder.

I would use the following to change ownership to root, and remove execute privilege from everyone except root:

cd /Applications

# Now change the ownership of Client directory and files to root, with group "admin"

sudo chown -R root:admin Retrospect\ Client/

# Now remove execute privilege for others and group

sudo chmod go-x Retrospect\ Client/

One may play with other combinations of privileges, but without execute privileges, no one may double-click and open the folder, or do a listing of or change directory into the Client directory.

regards,

almage

Archived