erasing removeable disks

I have a Firewire LaCie DVD-RAM/R drive I have been using for Rertrospect backups under Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.1.5 without many problems. Since upgrading to 10.2 (and now 10.2.2) and since upgrading Retrospect to 5.0.238 I have not been able to use this drive for backups to DVD-RAM. I tell Retrospect to backup to removeable disks, but when I start the backup it will often not see the disk, even though it shows up on the desktop. Sometimes it will work if I eject and reinsert the disk (from the desktop). If I can get Retrospect to see the disk it will successfully create the first disk, but when it asks for the second disk I cannot get Retrospect to see it. The disk will show up on the desktop, but will not be listed in Retrospect's window.

I have used this drive to write to DVD-RAM from Finder and other programs under 10.2.2 without problems.

Retrospect's Device Status identifies the drive as:

FireWire-A MATSHITA DVD-RAM LF-D310 A117 Panasonic DVD-RAM/R (5.01)

From the Retrospect documentation I understand that it is supposed to work with any removeable disk that mounts on the desktop properly. Does anyone have any ideas why it doesn't work with this drive?

I forgot to mention that when Retrospect does see the disk in the drive it often tells me that it cannot erase the disk. I have had no problem erasing these disks from Disk Utility. This problem occurs with both 9.4GB and 5.2 GB disks, although it might be slightly less common in the 5.2 GB disks.

We are actively investigating issues with 10.2.x and spanning media with DVD-RAM drives. When spanning, the disk does not become available to Retrospect. There is no other information available at this time, however updates will be posted to the forum as they become available.

Archived