Backing up booting from another HD

I am using retrospect 5 for os x server and have a few macs that I want to actually back up directly by using the external firewire drive on the os x server machine and just plugging it directly to another machine that I don't want to backup over the network. My questions are:

This firewire drive has it's on system 10.2.2 and I also use it as an emergency drive. It has retrospect and the storage sets on it. Is it best to boot from the firewire drive or the computers internal drive. Is there any advantage/disadvantage doing it either way. I liked the idea of the scripts being stored on the firewire drive so that when I went to another mac to do the same thing I would have a script for each mac saved and it would show up when I booted from the firewire drive. If I booted from the internal drive of the mac I want to back up then it would show up also but only the script for that particular mac. Not very important but it's nice to have all the scripts set up titled with the name of the mac. More important is whether backing up booting from this backup firewire drive will cause any problems with restoring permissions correctly in case of a full restore. I noticed that when I did a back up this way, the log warned that 'ignore priviledges were off' I found out how to turn these on but wasn't sure if this was still the best way to go.

Thanks.

Archived