Backing Up Registry

StevenearSeattle

I started reading some of the other posts and now I am confused. I am using Retrospect 5.6 with the One Touch Maxtor drive (5000le). The Maxtor people helped me set up a script that did complete backup of the harddrive because I explained that I wanted to be able to restore everything should my drive fail. But now I read here, if I am understanding that, the One Touch button will only do a Duplicate, not a Backup, thus not backing up the Registry.

So does this mean that each time that I activate One Touch with the button I am doing a Duplicate and not copying the Registry? If so, do I need to activate the backup script from within the program inorder to back up the Registry? Boy I am confused.

Steve

The Maxtor One-Touch wizard sets up a Duplicate script, not a backup. Retrospect Express does not duplicate the Registry.

In order to backup the entire computer, you'll need to set up a backup script in Retrospect. The User's Guide (in the Retrospect application folder) and/or the online tutorials can provide setup help:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=service_and_support

• 3 weeks later...

To back up the registry, get a specialty tool like the free "ERU".

Like you, I have been unable to use Retrospect Express with the Maxtor.

The only way I have found to do backups to the Maxtor is by pressing the OneTouch button. And the only way to do Restore is by dragging files from the Maxtor drive back to the C: drive. Restore is very inconvenient compared to other software where you can pick the files you want to restore.

I have been unable to reach anyone at Dantz about the software. Who did you contact at Maxtor?

Archived