Do I have a full backup

StevenearSeattle

Greetings,

I'm using Retrospect Express 5.6 with the Maxtor One Touch, with Win XP Pro as my OS. When I did a full backup the first time, the program reported backing up about 14000 files. Norton Anti Virus tells me I have about 26000 files on my system. I know that Retropsect condenses files, but I am concerned that it appears that there are about 1/2 as many files reported to be backed up as there are files on my hard drive. Can this be correct? Can I be sure that I have every single file backed up, should I want to do a full and complete restore? How can I be sure that every file has been backup up?

Thanks,

Steve

Retrospect does not count folders in the file count. However, you typically won't have more folders then files.

To see which files _are not_ backed up currently (because they are new or changed) go to Immediate > Backup. Choose your C: as your source and your current backup set as the destination. Go to Preview. Retrospect will generate a browser window after scanning your C: and matching it against the contents of your backup set. Look for files (not folders) that have diamonds (diamond symbol) next to the name. If there is a diamond, the file exactly matches a file already in the backup set. If the file name _does not_ have a diamond, it is new or changed since the last complete backup and will be backed up in the next backup session.

Thanks for the response, but can I ask a follow up only because I need to make certain the program is working properly. Even given what you've said in your answer, would you expect such a large discrepancy: I'm reported to have about 26000 files on my C drive, yet when Retrospect did a full back up it reported on about 14000 files. This makes me nervous because I really need to know that I've got all the files there incase my hard drive fails. It is, after all, the only reason I purchased the Maxtor drive with your software. Bye the way, if it works as advertized, this really looks like a neat product. Thanks again.

Steve

If you are backing up the root level of your hard drive (C:) and your script or Immediate Backup is using the Selector: All Files, Retrospect will backup your entire drive. Any files not backed up will be listed in the Operations Log with error messages listing why they could not backup properly.

If you are using a selector that excludes files, such as Documents only, the total amount of files backed up will be less then the total number of files on the drive.

Archived