OSXS Share points problem

I am trying to dup a multi-partition OSX Server 10.1.4 disk. The original disk is in an AIO G3 and has three partitions. These were backed up to an FTP server on an other machine and then converted to a backup file. This other machine, a G4/400, has two ATA disks, each with 5 partitions. The target disk has been prepared by installing 10.1 and then doing the unified update to 10.1.5 in 2 of the partitions (by duping the first). The first is then restored with Retrospect 5.0.238, which is on a disk at 10.2.1, but the restore is done while running 10.1.5 from the second partition of the new disk.

Attempting to restart with the restored partition yields an error message saying that the home directory could not be found on the network. Launching Server Admin shows an address of 0.0.0.0 and only 127.0.0.1 gets me in. Sharing shows that "/usr/share" is absent and the third partition, holding the login home directory, has "unknown" in group. This partition appears on the second line in the "Share Points" display, with the first being blank. Changing the group doesn't stick. There is no way to access the /usr directory to fix the other share point, since root logins are not permitted via Server Admin (I think).

I see no way to finish the restore.

dss

Your post does not make entirely clear the steps you are taking. Here's how I read (and re-read) it:

- Internet backup of boot OS X Server 10.1.4 volume to external FTP server

- Tools->Copy->Transfer Internet Backup Set to new File Backup Set

- Install OS X Desktop 10.1.5 on new volume

- Boot from that volume

- Live Restore using File Backup Set

Are these the steps you have taken?

I don't know if you can do a full system Restore from a Transfered Backup Set; I certainly have never tried.

And there's no reason to do a Live Restore, since you have multiple partitions that can boot the machine.

I would suggest you boot from Volume B, erase Volume A using Disk Utility, confirm that Ownership is respected on Volume A (from Get Info), then use Retrospect to Restore Entire Disk to Volume A.

After the Restore, change the Startup Disk and boot into Volume A.

If that fails, I'd suggest doing the same steps using the Internet Backup Set as the Source for Restore. It could be that the Transfer has wacked something critical for an OS X System.

Dave

>Your post does not make entirely clear the steps you are taking. Here's how I read (and re-read) it:

>- Internet backup of boot OS X Server 10.1.4 volume to external FTP server

>- Tools->Copy->Transfer Internet Backup Set to new File Backup Set

>- Install OS X Desktop 10.1.5 on new volume

>- Boot from that volume

>- Live Restore using File Backup Set

The boot was from one volume, restore to a duplicate of that one (the second time, original first time)

>I don't know if you can do a full system Restore from a Transfered Backup Set; I certainly have never tried.

The first attempt was direct from the FTP server set, but under 10.2 - same effect.

>I would suggest you boot from Volume B, erase Volume A using Disk Utility, confirm that Ownership is respected on Volume A (from Get Info), then use Retrospect to Restore Entire Disk to Volume A.

>After the Restore, change the Startup Disk and boot into Volume A.

This seems essential, since a SLP "undefined state" was not resolved by a "restore disk" to vol A over previous contents. This seems like a defect in R. In fact, any manual resetting by hand seems to me to be a defect.

>If that fails, I'd suggest doing the same steps using the Internet Backup Set as the Source for Restore. >It could be that the Transfer has wacked something critical for an OS X System.

This would violate R's whole point of being, so I would doubt it worth a try.

I took a look at the NetInfo database on the restored vol. and some things were clearly off, but fixing them didn't seem to have any effect. The clearing of PRAM on the new machine may be necessary. At this point I am looking at other options, such as rsyncX or just dd for identical size disks.

dss

The boot was from one volume, restore to a duplicate of that one (the second time, original first time)

But why? If you're going to boot from one volume and restore to another, why not erase that before executing the restore? Was there a reason that you haven't explained?

>I'd suggest doing the same steps using the Internet Backup Set as the Source for Restore.

>It could be that the Transfer has wacked something critical for an OS X System.

Retrospect's whole point of being is to support the ability to transfer the contents of one Backup Set to another Backup Set?

You're experience included multiple choices, any one of which may have been the cause of your restored system's failure to boot properly. Certainly in my experience, backing up a running OS X Server 10.1.4 machine and restoring to an off-line volume will work, taking into account the issue outlined in Knowledge Base article http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27326. The problem with share points was solved by Apple in OS X Server 10.2.2

Reading your post again leads me to realize that your OS X Server install was heavily customized, yet you decided against describing that customization in your original message (including instead details about the numbers of partitions and duplications across different volumes).

It's entirely possible that your problems are caused by Apple's decision to base OS X Server 10.1.x sharing on unique file ID's, which cannot be copied another machine by any method (OS X Server 10.2.x is based on paths, which are immune from this problem).

But without having detailed, specific information about your configuration there's no way anyone here is going to come up with an answer.

Dave

But why? If you're going to boot from one volume and restore to another, why not erase that before executing the restore? Was there a reason that you haven't explained?

Since "Restore Whole Volume" is supposed to reset all files to their original state, the presence of the clean install should simply reduce copying time. This doesn't appear to work.

>I'd suggest doing the same steps using the Internet Backup Set as the Source for Restore.

>It could be that the Transfer has wacked something critical for an OS X System.

Retrospect's whole point of being is to support the ability to transfer the contents of one Backup Set to another Backup Set?

If it doesn't maintain the integrity of a backup set under any legal circumstances, it is a faulty product. Also, I did restore from the FTP backup and got the same result.

You're experience included multiple choices, any one of which may have been the cause of your restored system's failure to boot properly. Certainly in my experience, backing up a running OS X Server 10.1.4 machine and restoring to an off-line volume will work, taking into account the issue outlined in Knowledge Base article http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27326. The problem with share points was solved by Apple in OS X Server 10.2.2

I am not ready to upgrade to 10.2.2, and I would certainly like to have a way to back out if there is a problem.

Reading your post again leads me to realize that your OS X Server install was heavily customized, yet you decided against describing that customization in your original message (including instead details about the numbers of partitions and duplications across different volumes).

The only customization is placing a home directory in a separate partition (also a link to restore reports after installing CGP mail, not an issue here). This is necessary on older Macs which are limited to 8GB boot partitions.

Archived