network communication failed

Fatcat

I am using Retrospect Professional 6.0 on Windows 98SE. I keep getting error number 519 (network communication failed) for both of my client machines. I have purchased and installed a new switch, updated the drivers, turned off all running virus scanners and miscelaneous programs. Still getting the error. All other programs seem to be working fine on the network. Suggestions?

The troubleshooting for this issue is essentially the same as for another post I just replied to...

The quickest way to start isolating whether the problem is on a computer or the network itself would be to use a crossover cable to make a direct connection between the backup server and the client -- essentially leaving your existing network out of the equation. If the problem goes away with a crossover cable, troubleshoot the networking components specific to that client machine (cables, ports, etc.).

If the problem exists with the crossover cable:

- Install Retrospect on a different computer (one of the clients) and connect to the other client. Try to reproduce the error. If the error goes away, there is a problem with networking components on the backup server. Troubleshoot as listed below.

- Update / reinstall NIC drivers

- Reinstall TCP/IP protocols

- Make sure all third party apps (including utility and virus software) are quit

- Try a different NIC if possible

The key is to isolate the different variables to find the one causing the problem.

Archived