Maxxtor One-Button

giftmugs

Hi:

I recently bought the Maxtor 5000XT and installed the Retrospect software for one-button backups that came with it.

All works great except now I would like to add some more directories to the initial one-button backup method and cannot figure out how to do this. I just seem not to be able to locate this Maxtor One-Button script or menu that appeared the very first time, right after installation.

I checked all available information in the manuals and on Dantz's web site. I even wrote to them, but, alas, to no avail.

Could you please help me and point me in the right direction so that I can add some more directories to my one-button backup process.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

The Maxtor One-Touch walks the user through a wizard which will set up One-Touch functionality. For this particular operation, Retrospect is creating a "Duplicate" and not a "Backup." For complete information on the differences, please see the following TechNote:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27235

By definition, a duplicate makes the target look like the source - it is a one-to-one ratio. For that reason, it is not possible to duplicate multiple sources to one destination in the same script. In order to duplicate different sources, you'll need to create a duplicate script for each source within Retrospect. Keep in mind that the One-Touch button can only call one script. For multiple scripts, you'd need to run them manually from within Retrospect or automate them through the Automate > Scripts feature in Retrospect.

For tutorials on setting up duplicates, please see:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27646

Thank you for your explanations. This solved this puzzle for me.

If I now buy a 2nd One-Touch Maxtor for the same computer, then the One-Button of this 2nd, new drive would not work as, I presume. it would work form the same Retrospect copy/script that is already installed on it. Or do I still not understand the concept properly? Could you please elaborate? Thank you.

• 4 months later...

There is one big advantage to using two One-touch drives. You can keep one off-site while the other is being used onsite, so you should always have a good backup, whether or not the onsite drive and coimputer being backed up get destroyed. The fact that the script will run either drive makes it easy to backup with either drive and not having to alter scripts to fit each drive. ooo.gif

Archived