different date/time for *.tdb files

I'm running Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.238 on Mac OS 10.2.2 with an autoloader digital tape drive. I recently changed my SCSI card to a Adaptec 2906 which solved a number of problems. However, when I am backing up other Jaguar clients, a very common error while "comparing" is a "different modification date/time." This seems to occur uniquely with files names ending with *.tdb, for example

File “locking.tdb”: different modification date/time (set: 12/12/2002 2:45:26 AM, vol: 12/12/2002 3:16:24 AM), path: “******/private/var/spool/lock/locking.tdb”.

In the excecution errors list, they are listed as ReadMe.trf files. Why is this error occuring? I wouldn't expect a ReadMe file to be modified at all! Almost all errors are of the form "******/private/var/spool/lock/****.tdb

Thank you.

Jordan

The example file you provided, "locking.tdb" is a Samba file. How are these machines being backed up? Mounted in the Finder via Samba or through the Retrospect Client?

If you go to Configure > Volumes, in Retrospect, do you see the machines (with the errors) listed under Local Desktop, Backup Clients or both?

• 1 month later...

I responding to the response (by AmyC) to my original post from Dec. 15 regarding miscompares of certain files.

First to answer your question, the machines are backed up through Retrospect Client, and not through Samba.

Second, when I go to Configure; Volumes, I see the backup machines listed under "Backup Clients" with the exemption of the local machine whose two partitions are listed under "Local Desktop."

What I've noticed about these errors (which have continued since Dec, but I have ignore until now...), is that they vary in the type of error, but the parent directory is almost always the same, even on different clients. Here are some examples from the log:

File "access_log": different data size (set: #####, vol: #####), path: "ComputerName1/private/var/log/cupes/access_log".

File "unexpected.tdb": miscompare at data offset 0, path: "ComputerName2/private/var/spool/lock/unexpected.tdb".

File "ntp.drift": different modification date/time (set: 2/5/2003 4:18:46 AM, vol: 2/5/2003 5:18:46 AM), path: ComputerName2/private/var/run/ntp.drift".

File "browse.dat": different modification date/time (set: 2/5/2003 5:05:36 AM, vol: 2/5/2003 5:17:44 AM), path: ComputerName2/private/var/spool/lock/browse.dat".

Only Mac OS X clients (10.2.2 or 10.2.3) give these errors, and both Backup Clients as well as the local machine. I am using 5.0.238 to backup (on a Mac 10.2.3), and 5.0.540 for client software. These errors are consistently in one of the subdirectories of ".../private/var/....".

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Jordan Katz

Quote:

The example file you provided, "locking.tdb" is a Samba file. How are these machines being backed up? Mounted in the Finder via Samba or through the Retrospect Client?

<br>

<br>If you go to Configure > Volumes, in Retrospect, do you see the machines (with the errors) listed under Local Desktop, Backup Clients or both?

Quote:

a very common error while "comparing" is a "different modification date/time." This seems to occur uniquely with files names ending with *.tdb, for example

File ?locking.tdb?: different modification date/time (set: 12/12/2002 2:45:26 AM, vol: 12/12/2002 3:16:24 AM), path: ?******/private/var/spool/lock/locking.tdb?.

In the excecution errors list, they are listed as ReadMe.trf files.

The Retrospect Browser window is giving you incorrect information. The "kind" field in this window is for files with Type/Creator codes, which most of the native BSD system files in OS X do not have.

Throw away the "Retro.Icons (5.0)" file from /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/ and you'll find that files with no Type/Creator no longer display an inaccurate "kind."

As for the files, you should expect to get numerous Compare errors from Retrospect, as Mac OS X is busy doing lots of things while you backup. Spools fill up, caches empty, files are written and read. You should always pay attention to the log, as it will be your first sign of any trouble. But with OS X expect to see many entries such as the ones you report.

Dave

Archived