Not enough disk space for selected files

vegstan

I successfully used BACKUP to backup my C Drive (1.85GB) to my Maxtor 40 GB drive on my Windows 98 SE system.

But the second time I tried the same backup I got the following messge.

"- 12/9/2002 5:00:17 PM: Copying Disk1_vol1 (C:) Not enough disk space for selected files

(short by about 756.4 M)."

What is happening here please?

Thanks in advance,

Stan

How are your C: drive and 40G backup drive formatted? And what OSes are you running?

The "1.85GB" comment makes me think you may be running into the FAT32 2GB filesize limit. Note that Dantz's messag is misleading since it's used to report both a full disk *and* a case where the program can't write beyond the max file size (it's been suggested that they provide different messages for the two cases).

Since you're posting in the Express area, I assume you're running Retro 5.6, which has a single "File" backup option but not a "Disk" option (breaks big backup file into a bunch of little ones < filesize limit) as in RP6. So upgrading to RP6 is one option.

If you're running an OS that suppports NTFS (NT, W2K, XP) you can format the backup drive as NTFS. That format has a 1TB (1,000GB) filesize limit which would also take care of that problem.

Oops, you're right. Maybe I was remembering the older FAT(16) limit or the MacOS HFS limit??

Windows FAT has a limit of 2GB

Windows FAT32 has a limit of 4GB

Windows NTFS has a limit of 1TB (1,000GB – we’re getting there, now 200GB HDs)

I assume that if you're doing [backup 1.85G] + [incremental backup of the same thing, so only a little has changed], the total backup file size wouldn't be getting near 4GB. You're sure that you're FAT32 and not FAT16 formatted?

Can you confirm the type of backup set you are using? If you go to Configure > Backup Sets and get properties on the set in question, is it listed as a File backup set or a Disk backup set? Also, please confirm that the drive is indeed formatted as FAT32 by getting properties on the drive through Windows Explorer.

Hi -

Is the data being stored to a partition on the 80-gig drive by any chance? If you get properties on the drive through WinExplorer - how much free space is available?

As a test, room permitting, please try a test backup to your internal drive, rather then to the external drive.

If that works, or if you do not have the space available, please try reformatting the external drive - be sure to use FAT32 - and try the backup again.

In reply to:

Disk1_vol1 (C:) 14636 files 1.3 GB (97%)

Total 14636 files 1.3 GB (97%)

These results would indicate a full disk backup, rather then an incremental.

Ami,

There are not extra partitions on my Maxtor.

Explorer reports 72,599,044,096 free on Maxtor.

I tried BACKING up to my Drive which had just about enough space. That worked.

What did you mean when you said "These results would indicate a full disk backup, rather then an incremental."

I thought that the only way to do a "full" after the first time would be to check "Recycle", which I did not.

I know that you said to reformat my Maxtor, but I am a little squimish about doing that. Any other ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Stan

That the backup works writing to the internal drive, yet fails with false error messages writing to the external drive, tells me that there is a problem with the external drive.

Retrospect gets information about the file system of the drive directly from the Operating System - there is no direct contact with the drive. No drivers loaded, data is passed by OS, etc. Because of this, Retrospect writes to all drives in exactly the same way (whether internal, external, Firewire, USB, SCSI, IDE). One drive can handle the data correctly, the other cannot. The problem does not appear to be with your OS, your computer or with Retrospect - it appears to be a problem with the external drive. You can try disk diagnostics and try the drive on another computer to see if the behavior is any different. Ultimately, you may need to reformat the drive.

Dear Ami,

You are VERY SMART! I ran SCAN DISK and it found some folder size errors which I had it correct.

EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW!

To whom can I write to praise your diagnostic skills and patience?

Best and many, many thanks,

Stan

Archived