Iomega ZipCD 4x4x6

I recently upgraded my iMac350 to both OS 10.2 and Express 5.0. My Iomega 4x4x6 (NOT a Predator, mine is listed as a supported drive), burns properly (as far as I can tell) from the desktop, but when I tried to use it with RE, it copied about 150mb, and then gave a 206 error (bad media and/or drive). This was identically repeated with three more kinds of media.

I then went to the Dantz site and replaced the 3.1 driver with the 3.2 driver, whereupon all my (new) media were listed as locked. (Upon further inspection, I note that the compatibility listing on this drive mentions the 3.1 driver, but not the 3.2 . . . )

I spent a lovely hour on the phone with Dantz tech support, where we discussed the stated compatibility of the drive (yes), the note attached to the compatibility listing (the problem noted is different than mine), and finally he concluded that the likely problem was my drive's firmware, which showed as different from the one stated in the compatibility listing. He therefore directed me to seek a firmware update from Iomega.

To make a long story shorter, such an update is neither available nor forthcoming, and Iomega tech support passed me back to Dantz, stating that since the drive burns properly from the desktop, the problem is clearly with Dantz, and they washed their hands of me.

Ideas?

Minimum firmware editions are required because they address specific issues with drives that may otherwise prevent them from performing correctly. This particular drive has a minimum firmware version I1.1 for use with Retrospect. Unfortunately, if Iomega will not release that firmware version, the drive is not supported and may not work properly.

Archived