Disaster Recovery Snapshots

disteinborn

I recently needed to complete a full system restore using my Retrospect Professional 6.0 DR CD. During the process I wanted to use a later catalog file for the restore process than was on the CD. I had saved copies of all of the catalog files on to a Zip disk within a subdirectory on that disk. However, the disaster recovery routine within Retrospect could not find any catalog files on that disk (I checked afterwards and they were and are all there!). I was ultimately able to build a new catalog file for the restore from the backup media (an external firewire hard drive).

I am wondering whether anyone else has encountered this problem and found a way to solve it.

TIA,

What happens if you try to use those same catalogs in Retrospect, outside of the DR process? Are they recognized and accessible? In the future, if the same catalogs are not accessible via the Zip drive, try copying them to the hard drive during Disaster Recovery.

AmyC:

Thank you for your quick reply. When I attempt to access the catalog files on the Zip disk by starting to do a "normal" restore (rather than disaster recovery), Retrospect finds the files. In DR it recognizes the Zip drive but doesn't recognize the catalog files.

If necessary, in the future, I will copy those files back to a fixed disk drive, assuming that the DR process allows me to do that, after the installation of the "temporary copy" of Windows XP has been completed and the system has restarted.

Archived