Error 505: Client is Reserved

I work at a small business, and I manage the backups here, among other things. A while ago (6 months or so), we had been running Retrospect 4 on a network of <10 computers with mostly Macs, but a few PCs, running all Mac OS 9 (PCs were mostly NT, 1 win98). We had/have an Ecrix tape drive, that we use to incrementally backup with Retrospect. We got a new iMac, and decided we needed to get Retrospect 5 to backup OS X. So, we upgraded our backup server to OS 9.1, put Retrospect 5 on, and figured we were good to go. However, we immedietly started getting "Error 505: Client is reserved" messages on the OS X machine. I searched around on these forums, and eventually found someone who'd found foreign (Japanese I'd guess) fonts in his iMovie or iDVD folder (readmes I think), and had deleted it, and found that it solved the problem. Some dantz employees responded to this, and stated that it was Apple's problem, and that unicode characters would cause the backup to stall, and make the client not visible until it was restarted. So, while I didn't find any foreign readmes, I did find some foreign fonts, and deleted those, and everything worked perfectly. However, we recently just got 2 new Macs with OS X installed, and lo and behold we ran into the same problem again. Most of our machines (<15) are now running OS X, with some PCs still also. I've been searching around daily on each of the new computers to find the japanese fonts Retrospect is choking on, and I got one computer backing up - but the other one came with OS X 10.2, and I still haven't found all the unicode on that one.

Sorry for the long message, but basically, I got back on the forums to search around, and see if this problem had been solved. But, I couldn't even find the old messages where people suggested the foreign fonts - instead I found some very long threads on this error suggesting some other things. In none of these (I don't think) were the deletion of files with unicode characters in their name suggested, so my question to you is, has this been fixed by either Dantz or Apple, and if not, do you have any suggestions for finding these files and deleting them in a new computer? I'm pretty sure that this is the ONLY thing standing in the way of me backing up a brand new Apple computer on our network, because they always give me a 505 error when I first get them on our network, and continue to until I have extinguished all the japanese fonts from their systems.

If you could give me any help on this matter, I would be much appreciative.

Thanks again,

-Brian Nehring

bnehring@inovati.com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived