"restore" file size too big for disc

Greetings from Snowy Brooklyn.

I need help, hopefully someone out there can be of assitance.

Unfortuantely lost one of our main work drives yesterday. Good news is that it was backed up 2 days ago. So I re-initialize the drive, pop it over to our back up station and attempt to restore the contnets. I have tried both "restore entire disk" and "restore files & folders" withthe same results...

At last back up ( which we do weekely as an "incremental" back up, no duplicates), the hard disk had approx. 69 gigs of space on a 75 gig drive. Retrospect snapsot concurs this, howver, when I selelct files to restore, the restore file size jumps to a whopping 147 Gigs. While I know we use software compression, should it be this large?

All I want are the files back as of my last back-up, not the entire history of the drive, which it may be doing.

Help! Any suggestions, fixes, etc? We're running terribly behind schedule and before I go and purchase a 200 gig drive to pull all the ??147gigs?? off, I thought I'd check here first.

Thanks in advance!!

• 2 weeks later...

The short answer is that it is okay to go ahead with the restore when you get the message to really overflow the destination. Retrospect internally calculates data sizes based on a default block allocation size. If you've formatted the destination drive as Macintosh Extended (which is definitely what you want to do), the size calculation will be wrong. The size calculation is assuming you are restoring to a Macintosh Standard formatted volume. For more information, please see the following TechNote:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26676

Archived