Definitive Statement on Client Shutdown state

lithos

I've looked through the manual, help and forums and cant answer these questions about

when a client will get backed up. I want to give definitive answers to my users so they know whether to use energy saving functions and if to shutdown their machine (eg a mac) or

log out (networked PCs and mac x), ie what state to leave their machine in overnight

Experiments seem to indicate that energy saving must be off and

a pc must be logged into by someone, but im not sure this is correct.

Multi-server 6 on win2k with mac and pc clients backing up overnight

1) Will a sleeping mac be awoken (energy control panel setting) 7/8/9/X ?

note there is mention of a sleeeping powerbooks not be woken

2) Will a sleeping pc be awoken (power settings control panel ) 95/98/2k/ME/XP ?

3) Will a pc that has been logged out of (dispalying the login screen) be backed up ?

4) does sleep setting interact with shutdown state on a mac (ie wait at shutdown will/will not work if energy saving is on)

5) does sleep setting interact with shutdown state on a pc (ie at login screen will/will not work if energy saving is on)

i think thats it ?

In reply to:

1) Will a sleeping mac be awoken (energy control panel setting) 7/8/9/X ?

note there is mention of a sleeeping powerbooks not be woken

Yes, a sleeping PowerMac should be woken by network activity. However, this doesn't work in all situations. It is up to the computer to recognize the network request and respond by waking from sleep. The best advice would be to try it with sleep mode - if it works, great. If not, try sleeping just the monitor.

In reply to:

2) Will a sleeping pc be awoken (power settings control panel ) 95/98/2k/ME/XP ?

No, this functionality is not currently available with the Windows clients.

In reply to:

3) Will a pc that has been logged out of (dispalying the login screen) be backed up ?

Yes, the client runs as a service and can run behind the login screen.

In reply to:

4) does sleep setting interact with shutdown state on a mac (ie wait at shutdown will/will not work if energy saving is on)

Yes, it can interfere.

In reply to:

5) does sleep setting interact with shutdown state on a pc (ie at login screen will/will not work if energy saving is on)

Good question, I think it does - I would suggest trying it out. Set your sleep settings to start within a short time span and log out your computer. Does it go to sleep? If so, you'll need to sleep the monitor but not the hard drive.

thanks for the prompt reply looks like the advice (given there are a few *shoulds* and not will) for all platforms is to disable sleep for HD/system but sleep the monitor or power it off on a pc or non imac, which is coincidentally what i have told them!

I am going to have to retest our w95 clients at login screen as i dont think they work

but we have built a machine to test it with now.

I will reply with results.

thanks...

ps expect strategy question and more money from us in near future :-)

Archived