Disk images as backup destination

There was a note some time back on MacInTouch that suggested using disk images as a backup destination as a way to work around unsupported CD-R or CD-RW drives. (Create a backup set for removable media, mount disk images for the backup, and then burn them using Toast or other software.) I was unable to get this to work on OS 9.2.2, but there seemed to be more hope in OS X. I've now upgraded to 10.2.2, and Retrospect can see the mounted disk images as removable media. However, trying to backup to one, or to erase it, I get the error 102, trouble communicating. Reading the technical help, it suggests that file sharing is the cause of this, but file sharing is off.

The original poster of the idea was using Retrospect Express, whereas I am using Retrospect Desktop. Is there a difference in the way the two versions access removable media that is causing this? Do I need to be looking at something else on my system which is causing it? Or do I try to downgrade to Retrospect Express?

Thanks for any help!

John

Same problem here...I set up the volume access pasword per the Dantz instructions, but still get the error. From the other descriptions of the error I suppose this could be a file size issue. If so, is there a way to have RD automatically create a new file set when a certain files size is reached???

In reply to:

Same problem here...I set up the volume access pasword per the Dantz instructions, but still get the error.

What error are you referring to? The previous poster was referring to creating disk images on the local drive, and your post is concerning permissions on a network volume.

In reply to:

is there a way to have RD automatically create a new file set when a certain files size is reached???

At this time, the software does not offer that functionality. When you run out of room, Retrospect will generate an error message. Keep in mind that a file backup set will grow til the hard drive is full. Creating disk images as a backup method may work for some users, but is not supported by Dantz. This method has never been tested and may prove unreliable for backup or restore purposes.

I'm referring to the 102 error. I'm trying to backup to a network drive, which works fine until I hit 4 GB, then I get the error.

So there is no way to segment the backup to a volume huh? I think I'll have to look for another way to do this.

Thanks

Archived