Bug: QuicKeys X shortcut file names

Retrospect 5.0.238 running on OS X 10.2.1 reports the following errors in the Operations Log:

Can't read file “Hide Others (?? H)”, error -43 (file/folder not found), path: “diskname/Users/ward/Library/QuicKeys/Shortcuts/Hide Others (?? H)”.

Can't read file “Hide Others (?Ü— H)”, error -43 (file/folder not found), path: “diskname/Users/ward/Library/QuicKeys/Shortcuts/Hide Others (?Ü— H)”.

The files do exist, but it appears that Retrospect doesn't like their file names.

When I named these two shortcuts in the QuicKeys Editor, I augmented QuicKeys default names, which include the symbols for the Command, Shift and Option keys.

I suppose that one could say that this is a QuicKeys X bug, but if OS X is happy with the file name, then it seems that Retrospect should not complain.

-- Ward

P.S. I've entered this report in the Dantz Product Feedback page.

Retrospect on the Macintosh converts file names from their OSX Unicode strings to C and Pascal strings internally to preserve backwards compatibility. Some Unicode characters, however, cannot be converted, and thus Retrospect reports error -37 or error -43, and cannot back these files up. Fortunately this problem does not affect many file names. For example, it is known that Retrospect cannot copy certain Czech language characters.

We hope to resolve this in a future release.

Archived