PCI card issue?

Hello,

I am running:

retrospect 5.0.238

Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.1.105

PowerDomain 2930 card

when trying to execute backup or restore the whole system freezes.

I contacted technical support and they told me it was a pin issue. The PowerDomain 2930 is a 50-pin and my tape drive is a 68-pin, but I was running this same combination for about a week with no problems and then all of sudden the machine freezes every time i try to backup. If i boot up in 9.2 , back up runs fine.

If the issue was the pins, would'nt i be having the same problem when using 9.2?

Also I have an extenal drive connected and have no problems writing or copying files from it, so how can this be if the connectivity issue is due to the conflicting pin sizes. Should'nt i be having issues with this drive? Something doesn't sound right here

While the pin configuration may not be the ultimate cause of the freeze, it is the first obvious problem in the configuration.

That it is working in OS 9 with the same configuration only emphasizes the problems with SCSI in OS X.

From the SCSI Card Compatibility statement:

Mac OS X SCSI Host Adapter Compatibility List

Mac OS X requires a new method of interaction between the SCSI adapter and the operating system. Because of this, not all SCSI adapters that functioned properly on Mac OS 9 will function properly on OS X. DantzLab has tested many of the OS X supported SCSI adapters for compatibility.

The cards listed here have undergone preliminary testing by Dantz for use with Mac OS X. This list is provided as a service to our customers and does not guarantee compatibility or performance in all configurations.

SCSI host adapters not listed on the supported adapter page are not supported for use with Retrospect under OS X at this time.

Check this page often for news on SCSI adapter compatibility with Mac OS X. For more information on SCSI Troubleshooting for Mac OS X, see: http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27289

68-pin Wide Storage Device Issue

If your storage device has a wide 68-pin interface, make sure it is connected to a wide 68-pin SCSI adapter. In this early stage of Mac OS X, many issues have been found when wide devices have been connected to a narrow 50-pin or 25-pin SCSI adapter.

Archived