TiBook/SCSI/DAT Jaquar--Minor Errors?

So, after long trying to get my Jaguar TiBook to back up reliably via Client to an older OS 9 Backup station desktop, I took the plunge and bought a SCSI PC card from Ratoc in order to do direct backup to DAT. I downloaded their latest driver for Jaquar, hooked up my trusty DAT drive and voila...it seemed to work beautifully! Except...I got the following execution errors (6 of them). I never had execution errors under OS 9 doing direct backups, besides predictable Norton related files (FS files, which I would just not back up), so this OS X error thing is new to me. I'm attaching the log below...the modification date issue seems benign, but the file size discrepancy I'm not sure of. Anyone know if these errors are no big deal or darkly critical, let me know. I just want to have confidence in my backups, of course.

LOG TRANSCRIPT:

? Retrospect version 5.0.238

launched at 11/22/2002 10:11 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.1.105

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 11/22/2002 10:21 AM

To backup set Aurora Direct DAT Set A…

- 11/22/2002 10:21:14 AM: Copying Aurora_HD…

Can't read file “.DS_Store”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aurora_HD/Library/Frameworks/StuffIt.framework/.DS_Store”.

11/22/2002 2:53:42 PM: Comparing Aurora_HD…

File “DirectoryService.server.log”: different data size (set: 613,208, vol: 613,648), path: “Aurora_HD/Library/Logs/DirectoryService/DirectoryService.server.log”.

File “.DSRunningSP1”: different creation date/time (set: 11/22/2002 11:37:57 AM, vol: 11/22/2002 4:09:58 PM), path: “Aurora_HD/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/.DSRunningSP1”.

File “Operations Log”: different data size (set: 1708, vol: 1891), path: “Aurora_HD/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Operations Log”.

File “SystemEntropyCache”: different modification date/time (set: 11/22/2002 11:47:50 AM, vol: 11/22/2002 3:47:52 PM), path: “Aurora_HD/private/var/db/SystemEntropyCache”.

File “com.apple.scheduler.plist”: different creation date/time (set: 11/22/2002 12:50:07 PM, vol: 11/22/2002 4:50:33 PM), path: “Aurora_HD/Users/blueboy/Library/Preferences/com.apple.scheduler.plist”.

11/22/2002 6:49:17 PM: 6 execution errors.

Completed: 149696 files, 28.2 GB

Performance: 118.3 MB/minute (109.9 copy, 128.1 compare)

Duration: 08:28:03 (00:20:22 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 11/22/2002 6:50 PM

• 2 weeks later...

After making copies of all files to be backed up, Retrospect goes back to the source and rereads each file and compares it to the corresponding file read from the backup media. If they are not identical, Retrospect displays an error.

Retrospect will try to copy any files that don't verify during the next normal backup to this backup set.

If the error is a different modify date or time (such as "File 'Home.html': different modify date/time.") then the file was most likely modified or saved between the original backup pass and the compare pass. The file will be recopied at the next backup.

Verification errors which mention data or resource offsets (such as "File 'Bore Dimensions': didn't compare at data offset 263 078" or "File 'Port Flow specs': didn't compare at resource offset 731 429") usually indicate problems with the communications bus. See SCSI Issues in the user's guide. If you have a G3 upgrade card in an older Macintosh it may be the cause of errors mentioning an offset. See Dantz Technical Note #408 (available on the Dantz web site) and contact your G3 card vendor for a software update.

In reply to:

...I took the plunge and bought a SCSI PC card from Ratoc in order to do direct backup to DAT.

Wow - you did that? And it's working? And you're happy with it? I want to do the same thing, but wasn't certain it would work. What DAT drive are you using?

I've been pulling my hair out (and there's not much anyway) trying to figure out how I'm gonna bring this legacy of DAT tape along with me.

Thanks for the rundown. In response to the first inquiry, I'm using an APS DDS-4 DAT drive. There are termination issues to be aware of with the Ratoc CB32-PB card, as it does NOT supply termination power (thus, you must have a SCSI device on the line that supplies it's own termination power and doesn't pull it from the SCSI bus). The two or three data errors I got on my backups probably did come from SCSI errors. I believe I had redundant termination going, as it has a DaTerm feature (active) and I went ahead and put an LVD terminator on it anyway.

I just got my Medea VideoRaid 100 array to mount under OS X by putting the DAT drive without external termination (utilitizing it's built-in) on the end of the chain. Otherwise, I couldn't get proper termination. Now, it looks like I've got my two solutions working: backup to DAT and editing off my array.

Archived