Problems with 5.6 on XP

fhsws

I've got 3 problems that might be interrelated. I've got Express 5.6.132 newly installed on an XP Pro machine. I originally was getting permission problems when trying to back up the drive on my networked 2000 server but I changed the Log On As setting to an administrator account that exists on both machines with the same pwd. I've got a script set up to run daily automatically at 10pm. The same day I changed the Log On As setting everything seemed to run as expected. Now for the problems:

1) The script only started that one time despite the script saying it would start every day for the next several months every day and despite the service appearing to be running.

2) What does appear in the log that I've checked first thing in the morning is the following message (which comes from the last time I checked the log) "instIniWriteItem: WritePrivateProfilestring failed, error 5". I'm logged on as Administrator when I start Express.

3) When I try to quit the program it locks up and never quits, even when I try to kill it with the Task Manager. I can't even reboot the system, but have to literally hit the power button to kill this thing. ALSO, this 3rd problem existed before I changed the Log On As setting for the service.

Any clues?

What type of backup device are you using?

If you are backing up to a hard drive, you'll need to turn off the System Restore feature. To increase backup stability try turn off "System Restore" from System Properties for "all drives" by going to: Control Panels > System > System Restore. This should prevent hangs when quitting.

instIniWriteItem -- This is internal debug logging that will be removed in a future release and is nothing to worry about. It does not indicate a problem with the program.

Check your script to ensure that it is properly scheduled. If properly scheduled, yet still not auto-launching, uninstall Retrospect, reboot and install a clean copy, which will recreate the launcher service.

Archived