Installation problems

RBRADLEY

Retrospect 5.6 was included with my Maxtor PS5000-USB. Trying to install Retrospect 5.6 on Windows 2000 SP3, running Norton Systemworks 2003. First time, everything seemed normal until system restart - system almost installs Windows, then reboots and starts over. If I disconnect the USB connection, reboot is normal.

I then uninstalled Retrospect 5.6 and tried reinstalling. Now I get error 1311: Source file not found. The file it is looking for is "M\English\Installer\Data.Cab. Verify thAt the file exists and you can access it." This correctly addresses the CDRom Drive with the Retrospect installation software CD loaded.

I can access the drive, open the data.cab file with both Stuffit and WinZip. Why can teh installer do the same??

I make the assumption that since the software came with the Maxtor drive it is compatible. Am I assuming too much??

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Maxtor drive and the software are completely compatible.

Please see the following Maxtor Knowledgebase entry on completely removing the installed files:

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=o-iJ1Mvg&p_lva=&p_faqid=1196&p_created=1028038174&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTIzJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cmV0cm9zcGVjdCZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTMmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9jYXRfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

Once the software is completely removed, reboot and try reinstalling from your Maxtor installation CD. Make sure the USB drive is attached when installing the software.

If your computer continues to hang on boot while the hard drive is attached, you may want to contact Maxtor directly for hardware support. The Retrospect software does not load services on startup that would prevent the computer from booting.

Archived