Disaster Recovery Prep

sdphillips

I have Retrospect Express 5.6.132 running on a Compaq Presario 2800T laptop, backing up another computer on my home network to a Maxtor one touch Personal Stroage 5000 80g external harddive. I am using file backup for this from a script. When I try to prepare for disaster recovery for this backup using the wizard, I see the backup set and snapshot I want, but when I select it I get the message, "Sorry, that snapshot can't start a Windows Computer. Please select a snapshot of a Windows startup volume and try again." The hard drive I backed up is the only one on the computer, so it is a startup volume. I have backed it up again, but the message stays the same.

Has anyone had this problem or have ideas on a solution?

I have had that same experience with three different backups that I have made. From reading through the tutorials and browsing through the posts here I have come to the conclusion that you have to upgrade to Version six to have con trol over the snapshot. I may be totally wrong about this but I'll be watching to see if Amy or someone will say something different.

ronaldE

Retrospect Express can only make a Disaster Recovery image of the local machine (i.e. the machine running the backup). Dantz currently does not make a version of Retrospect that has the functionality to make a Disaster Recovery disk of a Client machine.

Please note: The registry is not backed up when a volume is mapped over the network. The only way to properly backup a machine over the network (registry, application and data) is to use the Retrospect Client software.

Retrospect Express does not support the client software. I suggest that you upgrade to the Professional version for that functionality.

Archived