Can't connect to Clients

akirwan1

I have tried to get my Windows XP box running Retro Pro 6.x and another XP box running Client 6.x over tcp/ip to connect but have been unable. When I go to add a client the program just keep saying looking for client. When I hit test and type in the name or ip address the software connects to the client and gives the Client IP address, name and client software. After hitting okay Retro continues to say looking for client. I can exchange files between the two computers without a problem and they are both connected to the net through tcp/ip. What's the deal?

• 5 months later...

So was my response. The XP firewall is enabled on my external (satellite connection -- I'm in essence dual NICed) but on on my internal network. Just for grins I turned it off on the external network but, as I would expect, turning it off has no effect.

Stu

Do other clients connect okay - or is the problem isolated to this one client?

Try a direct crossover cable between the two computers to isolate whether the problem is out on the network or on the computers themselves.

• 1 month later...

If you can 'test' the client machine with Retrospect and the machine is found, then you've got something blocking UDP traffic. This is typically either a router configured to block UDP or a firewall that is blocking port 497.

Corrupt TCP/IP settings, bad NIC, NIC drivers, network cable, network port, and system corruption can also be at fault.

Give each machine a static IP and connect them directly with a crossover cable (a two computer peer to peer)- if the machine still cannot be seen in a multicast (UDP) broadcast, troubleshoot the network hardware and the system on the client computer.

Archived