Driver doesn't install

ronaldE

I have version 5.6 of Retrospect that came with my Yamaha CDRW. It apparently has limited capability and to actually be able to use it well I would need to upgrade to Version 6. That would be fine but for the fact that I can't get this Version 5.6 to install the upgrade driver from 2.7.117 to 3.1. I have dragged & dropped the file more than once just be sure it went in the folder for an installation. It seems to go into the folder because I get a message to delete one of the files. That is file rdu.rpx as is the name of the driver file that is supposed to self install after the drag & drop to the folder. I would be interested in purchasing the upgrade if I could get this Version to do what it's supposed to. Otherwise.. I don't think I want to have more of this kind of problem later.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

ronaldE

As I said before, the log shows the old driver loaded. When I drop the new driver the startup of retrospect begins and I get a message saying that there are two files loaded and I should delete one. I click OK and the window opens and no driver appears at the bottom of the log. Am I supposed to delete the existing driver before dropping the new one in? By the way, I did delete the first driver update and downloaded again. After I close retrospect and reopen the old driver appears at the bottom of the log.

Well I did a search of my drive for Retrospect Folders and found some in a Dantz folder and others in a Retrospect folder. The driver in the Dantz folder was the 2.7 driver and the update 3.1 driver was in the Restrospect folder. So I deleted the one from the Dantz folder and dropped the update in and it installed. So, one more thing cleared up. Thanks for your reply.

ronaldE.

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I too have downloaded and installed the rdu patch. The log file says it is loading. But Retrospect still doesn't show a driver for the Yamaha drive in the environment tab of the configuration tab. I have uninstalled any reinstalled Retrospect and have the latest Yamaha firmware (1.0d) Have you solved your problem yet? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. George

Hi George -

Make sure there are no CD's in the drive. Also, make sure the CD drive is the Master drive - not the Slave.

Uninstall any other CD burning software you may have on the computer (NERO for example). If Retrospect can't load a driver, most likely another program has a driver loaded already.

Try the drive on another computer if possible.

Hi, what a quick response! Does the Yamaha HAVE to be the Master to work? Right now it is the Secondary Slave. If I uninstall Nero and Retrospect works, how will I then use Nero? But I will try that....... I don't have another computer to try it on. thanks for the suggestions. George

No, the drive doesn't need to be Master to work. However, we do need to determine why the drive isn't being detected properly. Could be an installation issue, could be a conflict with another program, could be a faulty drive, etc. The only way to determine is to rule out the variables systematically.

Hi Amy, I tried the drive as Secondary Master......no change, still doesn't work. Also, I uninstalled Nero and InCd and rebooted the machine. I installed Retrospect and added the new rdu file. Log confimed it loaded. See below.

+ Retrospect Express version 5.6.132

Launched at 11/21/2002 3:39 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.1.103

Still no driver showing up for the Yamaha. Now What? It can't be this hard! George

I've been following this thread out of curiosity. I have been working with Norton Ghost as well and when trying to Image a File.Ghost doesn't see The CDRW while GoBack drivers are loaded.When I boot with a Floppy then Ghost sees the drive because GoBack hasn't loaded yet. I'm getting ready to make a bunch of Partitions and I have found out on the Roxio GoBack WebSite that GoBack will have to be Uninstalled for this to happen. So if you happen to have GoBack or some other Software running that may be your problem. Good Luck

ronaldE

Thanks for the tip. I use Ghost, but only from a floppy when I back up my entire hard drive to another one. I had Nero Burning Rom and InCD loaded, but I unistalled them both and Retrospect still doesn't see the drive. How can I see if any other drivers are loading and preventing Retrospect from loading it's driver? Thanks. george

• 2 weeks later...

Archived