Error 100 - device rejected

My CD-RW (LaCie CDBP-241040A) is not supported, however, it is shown with its correct model number and with media mounted by Retrospect Express 5.0.238. When a backup is attempted an Error 100 - device rejected command is displayed before any burning occurs. I suggest that 1) Retrospect should not select drives it can not use and 2) a better explanation of Error 100 be given in either the documentation or help. Is Error 100 the primary way of showing an unsupported device?

Also I do not understand why Dantz decides to support some CD-RW's made by a major sponsor (LaCie) and not others. Making backups was my primary reason to purchase the device.

In reply to:

Is Error 100 the primary way of showing an unsupported device?

Error 100 is the error reported by the device indicating there is a problem with the current operation. This error can be reported for supported and unsupported drives.

Error 100 means that a command that Retrospect sent to your backup device was rejected by the hardware. This can be a result of software or hardware problems, or an indication that the drive is not supported by Retrospect.

The drive does not provide specific information about what failed - the software can only report the error back. The problem can be with the media, the drive, the cables, the computer... Troubleshooting is outlined in the Knowledgebasecolor=blue>

In reply to:

Also I do not understand why Dantz decides to support some CD-RW's made by a major sponsor (LaCie) and not others. Making backups was my primary reason to purchase the device.

There are hundreds of CD burners on the market. Unfortunately, we can't support them all. Qualification can take weeks or months to complete. Some drives will never be qualified.

There are hundreds of CD burners on the market. Unfortunately, we can't support them all. Qualification can take weeks or months to complete. Some drives will never be qualified.

It's understandable that your product won't work with every burner in the world; I'm just frustrated that Dantz won't seem to share their plans or progress on future device support with its customers.

For example, even some shareware products make a point of announcing which currently unsupported hardware is undergoing testing, providing their customers a rough time frame on when they can expect resolution one way or another. By the same token, if Dantz *never* intends to support a given drive, that would be good to know, too.

As it is, I doubt I'm the only one who burns a fresh coaster every time a new Driver Update is released. No offense, but if you have paying customers who are simply SOL for the duration, it just seems sporting to say so and let us move on, you know?

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to:

No offense, but if you have paying customers who are simply SOL for the duration, it just seems sporting to say so and let us move on, you know?

I absolutely agree with you. You make a valid point. Unfortunately, most drives don't end up in a "will never be supported" pile. We are looking at ways to improve our hardware engine online to allow more access to information for our customers. I don't know when, what, or if, changes may be made, however the process is being looked at.

Archived