Peerless and OSX?

I'm endlessly confused by the seemingly contradictory info on Dantz web site.

Am I hallucinating, or did I read that most removable media is not supported in Retrospect Desktop 5.x

Specifically, Could someone please tell me, if Iomegas Firewire Peerless Drives are fully compatable with:

OSX?

If so what version(s) ie compatable in Jaguar?, OSX 10.1.4?, 10.15

I'm going nutso here, can't figure out a way to backup my OSX volumes short of moving to a new backup program. I'm desperate to do a couple backups before installing some some risky software.

(Norton, Office, Suitcase, Quickeys)

Thanks in Advance,

xandra

You can use Retrospect 5.0.236 with Jaguar (10.2). You should note the following (from the 5.0 Read Me):

Live Restores Using Removable Disks: Retrospect is unable to complete a live restore when restoring from removable media such as Zip, Jaz, and DVD-RAM. A live restore is where the in-use operating system is overwritten by the restore process. Dantz is exploring possible solutions. Booting from an alternate hard disk drive allows the restore to be performed correctly. Users without an alternate boot disk can use their Mac OS X install CD to create a 2-3 GB partition on which a temporary Mac OS X boot install and Retrospect can be installed. Boot from the new partition, then restore the main partition normally.

Backing Up Removable Disks: A busy file on a removable disk (such as Zip, Jaz, MO, DVD-RAM, and SuperDisk) used as a source volume causes Retrospect to "hang" under Mac OS X. Make sure no other software is using the removable disk.

Amy, Thanks for the quick reply.

Must admit I'm still slightly confused.

If I understood you correctly, You suggested using the OSX CD to create a small partition on the drive.

Wouldn't I need to initialize (erase) the whole HD in order to do this?

What if I wanted to restore a few files? a few system files?

Does this only work with Jaguar?

I'm currently running 10.1.4 -- So I would need to do the original backup under that.

If I've got the gist:

1. do a backup while running 10.1.4

2. initialize? /partition the HD (while booted off OSXCD)

3. install basic OSX on the small partition

4. Install retro on the small partion

5. somehow (how) bring back select retro files (the catalog?, prefs? which ones?) I need in order for Retro to do the restore

ALTERNATIVELY:

If I purchase a Firewire external HD (IF so which one is guaranteed to work with Retro), Install OSX & retro on that (rather than my internal), set the startup disk to the external, then do all my backups from that? I.e. Not even bother running Retro on my internal?

I'm sorry I'm such a moron regarding all of this, I've been using Retro 1 thru v4.3 sucessfully for years, Purchased the Retro 5 - ages ago, but have gotton SO confused by all the potential problems, hardware incompatabilities -- I've yet to do a backup.

embarrassed about my truly fried brain,

xandra

In reply to:

If I understood you correctly, You suggested using the OSX CD to create a small partition on the drive.

Wouldn't I need to initialize (erase) the whole HD in order to do this?

This is only in case of a full system restore - it is not applicable when restoring selected files and folders. The issue is also only applicable if you are restoring over the top of the system you are currently booted from. This problem exists in all versions of OS X with Retrospect and removable media.

In reply to:

If I've got the gist:

1. do a backup while running 10.1.4

2. initialize? /partition the HD (while booted off OSXCD)

3. install basic OSX on the small partition

4. Install retro on the small partion

5. somehow (how) bring back select retro files (the catalog?, prefs? which ones?) I need in order for Retro to do the restore

Yes, this is essentially what you would need to do.

In reply to:

If I purchase a Firewire external HD (IF so which one is guaranteed to work with Retro), Install OSX & retro on that (rather than my internal), set the startup disk to the external, then do all my backups from that? I.e. Not even bother running Retro on my internal?

This would also work. You can still run Retrospect from the internal drive. You would only need to ensure that you have a bootable firewire drive (with a copy of Retrospect and ideally the current catalog) at the time of the restore. All hard drives are supported by Retrospect as long as they are supported by the OS. Hard drives should contain the Oxford 911 chipset.

For a list of computers that support firewire booting, please see:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58606&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|157646752

Archived