two indistinguishable disks

RJSawyer

I'm using the version of Retrospect Express 5.6.132 that comes bundles with the Maxtor 5000LE 80-gig USB drive.

Every time I try to run it, I get this error message:

=======================================================

Retrospect Express

There are two disks named ACER that are indistinguishable from each other. One of these should be renamed so that this program (and people) are not confused.

=======================================================

Well, of course, I don't have two disks named ACER (nor do I have any other drive substituted as ACER), and changing the volume label of my hard disk doesn't solve the problem. Any suggestions about how I can keep this error message from popping up?

Thanks!

Robert J. Sawyer

http://www.SFwriter.com

Thanks for the follow-up questions about my problem.

I have only one internal hard drive, set as a single partition, and no mirroring of drives. I'm running Windows 98 SE on an Acer TravelMate 600TER laptop. FDISK dsiplays the following:

Display Partition Information

Current fixed disk drive: 1

Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage

C: 1 A PRI DOS ACER 11507 FAT32 100%

Total disk space is 11507 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)

Robert --

Have you looked at the partition information for the Maxtor? I'm not sure if you can use FDISK on it or not, not having a USB drive, but I would suspect so. Failing that there's got to be some sort of configuation utility for the beast. Keep an eye out for anything that doesn't "look right".

Also, assuming you haven't installed Retrospect on the Maxtor, trying unplugging the drive then run Retrospect again. Least this should tell us which drive its spitting the dummy over.

Ian

(With this post I appear to have been promoted to "very frequent poster"! Guess I need to get out more :-) )

Archived