100% -206s under Win2k

IanWorthington

I've just moved a system here from Win98 to Win2k (SP3).

I'm now trying, and failing, to get Retrospect (5.6) working backing up to CD.

I was used to about a 10% 206 error rate under Win98, which we could never get to go away -- I was using good (TDK or Sony) disks for one offline set and cheapo (Princo) disks for a second as a test: failure rates were pretty much the same.

Now, under Windows 2k, failure rates are 100%. I am unable to do a backup at all. I can master disks using Roxio Easy CD Creater without a hint of a problem.

I have enabled DMA on the Plexwriter 24/10/40A and flashed the firmware from 1.03 to 1.04 both without evident effect.

The system is ECS K7S5A-based with a Duron 1300, 256MB DDR 266Mhz memory. It has 2 HDDs on the primary IDE and the Plexwriter on the secondary master. The secondary slave is unused.

I am unsure if I should next sacfrice goats or move direct to virgins. Please advise?

Ian

Hi Ian -

I would, for testing, uninstall any other burning software on the computer to make sure there are no conflicts.

Try installing ASPI, if not already installed. The ASPIINST.EXE is located in the Dantz Program folder.

Make sure the drive is jumpered properly and cables are straight. Make sure you have all the latest updates provided by the computer manufacturer.

Check the status of the device's drivers. Updating or reinstallation of the device's drivers may be necessary. Corrupt drivers can cause issues that may not be otherwise detectable. Delete the drivers and reboot.

In desperation I tried installing ASPI over the weekend, but I'm not sure what I need to go to turn the panel ASPICHK panel green under W2K.

The Retrospect devices menu shows its still using NT SPI - presumably for the same reason. I've accessed the "secret" properties and they seem to be set correctly.

I can't find any documentation anywhere on activating ASPI under W2K. I know its not strictly your problem, but do you happen to know? :-)

In hope,

Ian

• 2 months later...

Archived