Changing W2k premissions

IanWorthington

When I did the original install on Win 2000 I elected to have Retrospect available only to the administration id.

Now, of course, I've changed my mind... Can I simply reininstall, or do I need to do something fancy to save/restore my configurations, schedules, logs, etc. (like maybe saving & restoring operations_log, config55, and retro.ini? is that sufficient?)

Ian

Well, I started to hack and bodge my way through this and, as it turns out, its irrelevant: the installation message is misleading. Where it asks if you just want this user or all users to have access, it *should* say ADMINISTRATORS.

A normal user can't access it in any event, password or no password.

Ian

ps. And I must remember to proof my posts properly before sending 'em off. Sorry 'bout the dreadful grammmar in the last one!

You're correct - not looking at the forum heading, I was noting the location of the Retrospect files for the new Retrospect 6.0, rather then 5.0. Sorry!

The files that you want to hold on to are: config55.dat and config55.bak, located in the folder path: \Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect

Thanks Amy, though as I noted, I think its not relevant anymore.

Just for reference for anyone stembling onthis in the future I suspect that anyone wanting to keep their log should hold onto operations_log as well. And who knows what goodies might lurk in retro.ini, but it seems to get updated a fair bit...!

ian

Archived