Error 206 again

I read the Nov 3rd Post about Error 206.

I upgraded to Retrospect 5.0 a few days ago. I am running a Dual Processor 887Mhz (about 1 month old) Mac G4 withan Apple DVD super Drive (custom ordered from Apple) under OS 10.2.

I was instructed to download as follows:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/express_50_upgrade.sit

This installed Retrospect 5.0.205.

I decided to go for broke and make a backup on the DVD that would probbaly require 2 DVDs in uncompressed mode. I started the backup onto the first DVD-R, got about half way through the first DVD and received the Error 206 message. - Bad media, etc, etc. Now, having used Toast Titanium without any problems, I was suspicious, but decided it really could be bad media. So I started again with a new Backup Set defined and again, at a different place in the backup, but somewhere on the first DVD, I again encountered the 206 message.

Now I read your forum and found out about 5.0.236 and a new driver, so I updated again. This time, I switched to trying a MAC OS 10 System Only backup to 2 CDs (in compressed mode). This worked OK.

SO now the question is: do I try a DVD again and chance ruining another DVD, or has 236 fixed the problem? By the way the screen saver did kick in during the backup. I am assuming that this would not cause a problem.

Thanks

Dan

Archived