Seeing Client w/ Two Open Ports

I can't get Retrospect to see my client Powerbook unless I turn off the Airport port. My configuration: G4 Powermac, Jaguar, Retrospect 5.0.236. Powermac is functioning as an Airport Software Base Station (aka Internet Sharing) and is wired via Ethernet to the rest of the house Macs. My Powerbook is also on Ethernet (it has an Airport card that is used occassionally in conjunction with Internet Sharing, but it's turned off in this scenario). The Airport port is second in the list of available ports in the G4's Network Preferences panel. Location is set to Ethernet (Airport port is available.) IP address manually configured.

So, even though the Ethernet port is first in the Network preferences list, and even though the G4 is hooked up via Ethernet to the client I'm trying to reach, Retrospect WILL NOT SEE IT unless I physically go to the Airport port setting in Network Preferences and turn it off. Needless to say, this also disables my Internet Sharing, something I don't want to do.

I want to back up my client via Ethernet AND keep Internet Sharing. Any ideas? Frankly, I'd like to back up via Airport, but it appears that Internet Sharing does not support the protocol used by Retrospect. If I'm wrong about this, please advice.

• 1 month later...

In reply to:

So, even though the Ethernet port is first in the Network preferences list, and even though the G4 is hooked up via Ethernet to the client I'm trying to reach, Retrospect WILL NOT SEE IT unless I physically go to the Airport port setting in Network Preferences and turn it off. Needless to say, this also disables my Internet Sharing, something I don't want to do.

Does it make any difference if you leave the AirPort port active, but turn off Internet Sharing?

Archived