Retrospect 5 Upgrade Does Not Work

Before I begin telling you my problem allow me to introduce you to my setup.

PowerMac G3/333 Beige minitower

Mac OS 9.2.2

128 MB RAM,

8 GB Ultra Wide SCSI ----> 50 pin internal SCSI connection)

Sony DDS AutoLoader TSL-S11000 (DDS-4 ----> 68 pin external SCSI connection)

Adaptec 2940U2W

Retrospect 5.0.236 and Retrospect 4.3 (to backup v.5 )

The internal hard drive and the tape autoloader are the only devices on the SCSI controller. The tape drive SCSI ID =1 and the hard disk's ID = 0.

Now let me talk about my issue.

I received the Retrospect 5 upgrade from Dantz last Friday. I started to upgrade yesterday. Took me all day to update 50 clients. This morning I discovered that the backup computer was frozen in Retrospect 5. Could not force quit. So I then restarted using Command-Control- Power. When I got Retrospect 5 started again, I checked its log . Had a checksum error during the backup. So I figured no problem, I got catalogs backed up. I went on to the next backup for Monday night to catch up. Retrospect 5 corrupted another catalog, froze and I had to reboot again. After the backup computer booted again, I went back into Retrospect 5 again and tried to restore my corrupt backup sets it had messed up. It would not restore my files to the local desktop. It just sat there saying it was restoring but did nothing. I went to a 15 minute break. Came back --- no progress. Tried to repair a catalog too. It did nothing -- garbage!! All during this time, Retrospect 5.0.236 saw my devices, tapes drive and whatever. It looked like it "knew" I had a tape drive but just sat dazed and confused.

Device Status under Retrospect 5.0.236 showed Sony TSL-11000 L100 Sony DAT DDS-DC (5.01).

Device Status under Retrospect 4.3 showed the same thing until you get to the driver, Sony DAT DDS-DC (4.06)

So from what I wrote about you can see that Retrospect 5.0.236 does not work for me. It can not backup my Macs, cannot restore files and it cannot rebuild catalogs. Did I say that I was using Mac OS 9.2.2? I had been on v. 4.3 of Retrospect with the same equipment for almost the last three years with very few problems. It's almost like Retropect 5.0.236 hates my Mac!!

Retrospect 4.3 has no trouble with my hardware.

Now I am forced to use Retrospect 4.3 .

Been looking around these forums today. I think my SCSI controller could obsolete or something. I'm guessing if I use an Adaptec 29160N, Retrospect 5 might work.

Unless you have any other suggestions, I will try a test with an Adatec 29160n tomorrow night.

Here is an update. It has been two days since my last post.

I never tried the Adaptec 29160N card. Instead, I have backed up my storage sets, low level formatted my 8GB HD, installed Mac OS 9.2.2 and Retrospect 5.0.263

I am now starting to have some success backing up stuff.

I think if it had been the Adaptec 2940U2W, then Retrospect would not have seen my tape autoloader at all. Hardware is like that, either it works or it does not.

Typically intermittent issues are almost always software related. This was my case.

I hope my hard disk troubleshooting did the trick.

Archived