Verification Always Fails On Same File(s)

I'm running Retrospect to backup onto a DLT IV tape, and I've got two different DLT drives and the same problem occurs on two differenet drives and two different backup sets.

The backup sets are large: between 25 & 38 gigs each.

The backup runs, and then performs a verify. On both backups there is one file that will never verify, and will return and Execution Error at the end of the backup.

The strange thing is, it is always the same file for a given backup. I've performed the backup & verify three times on the 38 gig backup set and one 708meg file always fails the backup.

How can I work around this issue?

Here is the info from the log:

11/3/2002 5:04:29 AM: Comparing Maximum 3D on Firewire HD…

File “Youngblood bonus footage-1” appears incomplete, path: “Maximum 3D/Media/Youngblood bonus footage-1”.

11/3/2002 10:22:04 AM: 1 execution errors.

Remaining: 1 files, 708.0 MB

Completed: 251 files, 35.2 GB

Performance: 5.7 MB/minute (158.2 copy, 148.8 compare)

Duration: 09:09:46 (01:16:27 idle/loading/preparing)

• 1 month later...

I duplicate (rather than Back Up) internal SCSI drives to external FireWire drives, and duplicate FireWire drives to other FireWire drives. In all cases, I experience the same thing (same files fail to be duplicated). The files vary in types and sizes. Most notably are the MP3 files from my iPod library which are stored and duplicated to and from the external FireWire drives. The same 7 MP3 files are reported (during verification) as never being duplicted. Yet, they not only appear in the duplicated drive, but they also work (I can play them) too. I have no idea why this happens, but would appreciate knowing.

Can anyone help us out?

Thanks,

Jim

Archived