No disk found

Packrat1947

Hello Support,

I just installed a new Yamaha CD-RW, and your program came with it. However, I’m having a difficult time getting it to work.

I have created a few backup sets, but when attempting to backup, I get the following error message. “No disc Storage device found”. I have selected the CD drive for backup and am using a new freshly formatted Memorex High Speed CD-RW. Of course it is in the drive. The drive works perfectly any other way, and I’m able to copy to it and delete files from it.

----------

After reviewing someone else's problem, I checked the Configure/Devices and nothing was on the was in the status. The environment tab showed the new Yamaha plus the old discarded Compaq unit. I tried "refreshing", whatever that means. Windows Explorer does recognize the drive too. So how can I get going here?

You program is not very intuitive, and it takes quite a bit of poking around to come up with a backup set. It sure needs help here.

Can your program keep files in their original format or does it turn them into something else?

Thanks for any help.

Ron N.

Under the Environment tab, please list Vendor, Product and Version for your Yamaha drive.

In reply to:

Can your program keep files in their original format or does it turn them into something else?

The data is written in proprietary format on the CD.

Hi Amy,

This is what is in the environment.

Yamaha CRW-F1E 1.0b Yamaha CD-RW (1.53)

I downloaded a shareware backup program, and it didn't have any problem backing up to 4 consecutive CD-RWs. It also kept the files in their original format, which is a big plus. That should be the default in your program too. I have that Nero thing for packet writing and it also works with the Backup Magic program.

The reason that I picked the expensive Yamaha drive was that I thought that I would be getting a professional backup program with it. But things just aren't working out. Looking at the forum, you really have a lot of problems with it. I'll bet you dread coming into work everyday.

Ron N.

In reply to:

Yamaha CRW-F1E 1.0b Yamaha CD-RW (1.53)

This is a great drive - I actually use it at home! : )

That being said, check out the following Yamaha article - it will explain how to resolve the issue. A firmware update and a driver update are required. Yamaha released the drive before Dantz finished qualification testing, and there are a few updates that will resolve these issues.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/multimedia/customer/help_win/FAQ_win/CRWF1ZE_07_W.html

Hi Amy, I went to the Yamaha Web site and read the article. I have already downloaded the 1.0d Firmware and the Dantz rdu31 patch. But when I click on the environment tab under configuration, I see the yamaha drive and the 1.0d but don't see a driver listed. Help! Thanks George

Check your Operations Log to make sure the driver update is loading. After Retrospect launches, there should be an entry in the log for the driver update. If you do not see this, try downloading the driver update file again and follow the read me instructions for proper installation.

The driver is provided by Retrospect - the Retrospect Driver Update.

Try downloading a new copy of the driver update to ensure that the file has not become corrupted. If you still experience problems, try reinstalling Retrospect from scratch.

Hi, Sorry to be such a pain. I downloaded the update again after deleting the previous one from my hard drive. I also removed Retrospect Express. I reinstalled Retrospec Express and put the new update in the Retrospec folder. The log file shows it is being loaded. The file is version 3.1.103 dated 7/12/02 and is 532K. Is this correct? My version of Retrospec Express is 5.6.132. The environment tab still shows the Yamaha drive as ID 1, but there is no driver listed. I'm stumped! Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Archived