File selection for scripted backups

iganpo

Help me! I had a simple task for Retrospect Express -- Back up certain directories on my hard drive and not others. So how do I do this in a scripted back up? When I do immediate backup, I have the option of previewing the files and directories and unchecking the ones I don't want to be backed up. But if I do a scripted backup, that option is strangely missing. The file selector lets me choose from a predefined list of selections -- All files, All except cache files, OS files only, etc. But I seem to be unable to define my own set. Did Dantz deliberately omit this obvious functionality from their entry-level backup software?

Custom-made selector creation is not available in the Express Version, however, you do have the ability to create subvolumes for backup.

The following tutorial will help you set up subvolumes. The screen shots are taken from Retrospect 6.0 (which has a different interface), however, starting with Figure 2, you'll see familiar screens.

Automate > Scripts > Edit > Sources. Remove your hard drive and you can add/create subvolumes.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27527

Archived