B/U to ZIP 100 USB freezes

I have a client whom is having problems backing up to a USB Zip 100 connected to her PowerMac G4 Cube (256 MB RAM). She's running MacOS 9.1 and Restrospect 4.3 with the driver update, and this happens whether or not other applications are running.

We're using a Selector to backup just documents and a few other important files (approx 750-800 MB), not the entire 60 GB HDD.

Part way thru the backup -- it various from attempt to attempt as to how far she gets -- Retrospect will just stop responding. It is always after Retrospect ejects one Zip disk, receives the next one and prepares it for use (names the volume, etc.). But whether it happens after the first disk change or the third or the fifth varies.

The Zip drive is connected via a USB hub though directly connecting it did not seem to change anything; if anything, it only increased the number of disk changes she could make before Retrospect hangs. The Retrospect "tape moving" icon still spins but no progress is made and (Zip) disk access is noted.

Any thoughts?

• 1 year later...

Mac 5400/180 with OS 8.6

Previous backups have been successful. I think the problem started after I upgraded to OS 8.6.

Zip Drive 100: Using the backup mode, it copies to the first disk, then when full, it ejects it and the message on the screen says to insert the same disk. When inserted, nothing happens (locks up). If another disk is inserted, the drive ejects it. Can go no further with the backup. I can copy and retrieve data from a disk. Disks have been formated for Mac.

Any help? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This usually occurs as a result of an extension conflict - another program (extension) may be trying to access the drive while Retrospect is using it. Try booting with OS Base Extensions and repeat the backup. If the problem goes away you'll need to isolate the conflicting extension. See www.apple.com for additional information on extensions troubleshooting.

Archived