Restoring files from CD after HD reformat

rosenar

Newbie here. I am currently using Retrospect Express 5.14 with Win98SE. I’m not clear on what Retrospect can and can’t do. Please help.

I’m planning to reformat my hard disk, install WinXP home edition, reinstall all my other programs from the original CDs, etc. Naturally, I want to backup lots of files, in order restore some or all of them to the hard drive after reformatting, etc.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is Retrospect Express 5.14 compatible with Windows XP or will I need to upgrade?

2. Once I have backed up my files to CD-Rs using Retrospect Express, reformatted my hard drive, installed Win XP and other programs (including Retrospect Express), will I be able to restore the files from the CD-Rs to my newly formatted hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses,

Alan

1. You'll need to upgrade. The earliest version of Retrospect that was XP compatible was Retrospect 5.6 The currently shipping version is 6.0.

2. Yes, you'll be able to selectively restore any files you'd like. Word of advice - before reformatting your hard drive, make sure you have at least two copies of your data for security. Should a CD scratch or fail, you'll have another backup set available.

Archived