Adding disks to backup sets

rkilpa

Ok, I am new here and glad to find this forum. Hope to get some help to a question.

I created a backup set on CD-R of my "Documents and Settings" folder. My question is... If I want to schedule an auto Incremental backup, to say backup once a week, which disk from my Backup Set should be left in my CD drive for the next Incremental backup? In other words, the Backup Set I created required me to be at the computer and feed disks as prompted till the backup was complete. Now that it is complete and I want to backup the files that are added or changed during the week to that backup set, how do I go about it?

I have read the users manual but it doesn't really make sense to me.

Providing you are using the same backup set, the next backup will pickup where the last one left off.

If your initial backup used Backup Set A, which grew to 5 CD's, you'd put 5-Backup Set A in the drive for the incremental backup.

Under Automate > Scripts, you can set up an unattended operation. When selecting your destination backup set, but sure to use the same set as your original backup.

Thanks Amy,

That seemed the only logical thing to me, but I was thinking I would have to maybe also supply the first disk in the backup set like I did when I created it the first time. Is that just done the first time to complete the catalog or something?

Thanks for your help,

Randall

Yes, Retrospect will always ask for all members spanned in a particular session. For example, if your first backup used members 1 through 3, Retrospect would require a second pass on those three members to verify that the data was copied correctly. If your next incremental backup started on member 3 and spanned to member 4, Retrospect would require a second pass to verify member 3 and then member 4 after the copy was complete.

Archived