Backup to disk and tape

DKS

First. let me give some background. I have several servers which I backup using Multiserver 6.0 . I currently use 3 backup sets, doing a recycle on Sunday, then a normal backup Monday through Saturday. I rotate through each backup set every 3 weeks. This is all going to a 360GB disk farm. I purchased a tape library (Sony Lib81/A3) which has 8 slots for AIT-3 tapes to backup my backup server. I plan to store these tapes offsite for disaster recovery. Now for my question.

For the tape backups, should I just do a recyle backup each day with erased media, or do a new media backup each day. Or would you recommend a backup set for each day of the week, rotating through 2 weeks worth of backup sets? I feel much more comfortable with my offsite tapes each being a full backup. The tapes will only be used in a disaster recovery situation, or if a backup set is corrupted beyond repair. Are there any issues I need to consider when restoring this backup to another server in case of disaster? I will be testing the recovery of my servers at an offsite location in the near future.

In that vien, will I be able to recover my servers directly from the tape, or will I need to restore my latest backup set to a disk, then restore to the appropriate server? Are there steps to take during the restore to let retrospect which backup set(s) that it should be aware of?

I am sure more questions will arise. Thanks for your help and input.

Archived