Restore Using Agent 1.2

We are in the process of trying to recover one of two Exchange 2000 servers - and the Agent is running - and has been running for almost two hours - does this sound okay? It appears that all seems to be running in the background okay.

Note: This is a backup from last Thurs nite - inbetween that time all of the accounts were moved to another server - and that server crashed w/o ever getting backed up - which is why we are trying to restore to a point before the time the accounts were moved to the new server...

Thanks!

I know how you feel. I did a replace with the agent and was wondering the same thing. I went to lunch and it was done when I came back. I had no idea if it was running or not. I guess it was. It took about 1 hrs for approx 2GB database stores.

I was replacing dead stores with good ones (hopfully at the time) from the rtexchg directory onthe same drive.

HTH, KAR

BTW, I assume you know you can't just move the Exchange databases from one server to another. See MS site fo more info on this.

In this case we are using an agent backup from the same server - just about 5 days ago - as we didn't get a chance to get it up& running on the other server before it crashed...

I talked to Retrospect tech support - and they thought 2 1/2 hours was too long for 6GB database - but it sounds as though yours took a long time for only 2GB - unfortunately their resident expert is out - his wife is having a baby (what timing!) and I guess he is the only one that could answer the question - if even he could.

They told me to reboot & try it again - so I will...wish I would have read your posting about it taking yours so long before I did!

I kept refreshing the directory to see if the file sizes changed. Most of the time I didn't notice any changes and kept wondering if it was running.

IMHO, I think the lack of a progress bar is a huge oversight. I wonder if this was addressed in 1.3 of the agent.

Been there done that. You need to have Exchange services running for the Agent to work. Hm... I don't remember reading that in the docs.

Look under Administration Tools \ Services and make sure the services are running. If I remember there is 6 of 7 Microsoft Exchange services that should be running. These should be on / running. I'll send you my bill in the mail :) LOL Oh wait Dantz is only 70 per call what a deal.

Info Store

Managenment

MTA

POP3

Routing Engine

IMAP4

System Attendent

That didn't fix it - I am guessing it is because the date of the backup is not the same day as the system - and there are too many incongruities & that is causing problems...

So - tomorrow (real early!) I am going to try & use a backup of the entire system with the backup of the agent - and see if that works - but I *hate* the idea of rebuilding the whole system - cause now you have MORE things that can go wrong - right now Exchange works - but not the stores...not sure WHAT will work if I restore the entire system!

If I was you...

1. Stop Microsoft Exchange Information Store.

1. From your last backup, restore ALL files from MDBDATA to a TEMP folder. Not Retro's copy.

2. Make a Copy of the current & bad MDBDATA into TEMP2 folder.

3. DELETE current and bad MDBDATA folder.

4. Copy MDBDATA from TEMP to the correct location

5. Here's the trick, the logs in MDBDATA are key to bring the stores up-to-date. Compear the logs between TEMP & TEMP2. Notice the file names on the logs. There should be newer logs in TEMP2. Just move newer ones over.

6. Start Microsoft Exchange Information Store.

7. GOTO System Manager and see if the stores mounted.

Goodluck

Archived