improving Selectors

dano

Creating selectors is necessary as the stock filters that come with Retrospect do not do enough to reduce data volume. But the time required to create selectors is far too great, and migrating selectors to other servers with Retrospect is too difficult. I'd like to see a plug-in architecture for selectors, or at least make Selectors so that they can be imported and exported as text files, with the further capability of importing additions to existing Selectors.

For instance, I'd like to use the stock Documents selector but enhance it with my own custom created lists, then move that to other machines. Ideally I'd like to do this with the portability of a single file, i.e. something like a plug in. But I'd settle for moving text files.

• 4 months later...

Agreed. Just installed 6.0 Single Server and I find the selectors very lacking also.

I came off Veritas Server. If Dantz is trying to compete in that market, it's time to make things a lot easier for the user to customize.

Pressing a single button "go" may be desirable for some users, but for those of us who know what we're doing, customization and configuration would be nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived