No Compatability

I did all of my homework, used Dantz verified devices and it still dosen't work. I have RBS 5.0.236 on a new XServe box running Jaguar with an ATTO UL3S scsi card and an ADIC VLS DLT tape library. When I attempt to back up either my local machine or a remote client the process will hang at approximately 12mb of data copied. Or so it says. There dosen't seem to be any data on the tape. I get no error messages, everything looks normal, but those little gears will keep spinning ad infinitum. It seems to be a buffering issue, but who knows. I am able force quit out of the program. I've tried every option available in the gui to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Dantz feels that after charging me $700.00 for software that dosen't work, an additional $70 is required to troubleshoot this wonderful product.

Mike

The first step is to determine whether or not the problem is hardware related. As a test, try creating a file backup set (saved to your local drive) and starting a backup of your drive. There is no need to complete the backup - let it run long enough to copy a sufficient amount of data. The set can be trashed after testing. Does the backup run sucessfully or do you see a hang?

If the File backup set is successful, the next step is to troubleshoot the hardware variables:

Clean the heads

Try a different tape

Change the cable and the termination

Make sure the drive is isolated on the SCSI chain

Make sure the SCSI card drivers / firmware are up to date

Try the drive on a different computer

Archived