seagate travan usb registry error

sbarrack

i've just installed retrospect express 5.6 and my seagate stt20000a travan ubs tape drive on windows 2k pro (sp2). retrospect cannot see my tape drive. it is the only usb device and i had administrator rights when i installed them. the device manager states "Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)". i have followed all the troubleshooting suggestions, and got new drivers from both dantz and seagate. what to do?

If the Windows Device Manager is reporting errors directly related to your drive, there is nothing that the Retrospect software can do to correct this.

From the Microsoft Knowledgebase:

Error Message: Code 19 Your Registry Might Be Corrupted

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, versions SP1, SP2

SYMPTOMS

The Component Object Model (COM) ports that you created during the installation of a multiple-port serial adapter do not start, and they are listed in Device Manager with the following error message:

Code 19 - Your registry might be corrupted.

CAUSE

This behavior can occur because many virtual COM ports that are hosted by this type of hardware rely on the standard serial port driver (Serial.sys) that is included with Windows 2000. This driver, however, can start only if there are hardware COM ports that require the driver.

RESOLUTION

To work around this behavior, enable at least one COM port in the basic input/output system (BIOS) so that the Serial.sys file can load properly.

STATUS

This behavior is by design.

MORE INFORMATION

Event Viewer does not display an error message that indicates that the serial driver has not loaded because some computers do not have built-in COM ports. If you change the ErrorControl value in the registry for the serial driver to 0x1, a warning is displayed that indicates that there are no devices that require the driver.

In Device Manager, on the View menu, click Display Hidden Devices to observe whether or not the serial driver has loaded.

--------

For questions on this article, I would suggest contacting Microsoft directly and/or Seagate.

Archived