Can't Backup to TDK 481648B

jblegen

I reinstalled windows from scratch (previous post on installation problem). This time Retrospect installed flawlessly (Thanks AMYC). At the same time, however, I upgraded my CD drive to a new TDK 481648. Now I get a "sorry, no disk storage devices found" when I do a backup.

When I create a backup set, I select CD-R drives.

Under the configure menu devices button status tab I get " no devices found"

Under the configure menu devices button environment tab I see the TDK CDRW4800B version S7S5.

Does Dantz have a new driver for this drive? Any other suggestions.

Thanks.

This drive is not yet supported for use with Retrospect. For a list of currently qualified devices, please see:

Hardware Search Enginecolor=blue>

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very discouraging.

Today, I purchased a TDK veloCD 481648B. I've been a Retrospect user for some time (I now run Windows Express 5.5) and have been generally very happy with it, except that it runs slug-slow on my old Sony CRX100E that came with my system; it's a 4x CD burner and takes 4+ hours to back up 4MB of data with new media, and even an hour to do a simple incremental backup.

Before cracking the seal on the TDK drive, I thought I'd check to make sure it was supported, since the sole reason I'm buying a faster burner is to speed Retrospect backups. Now I find it won't work.

I'll be driving the hour required to take it back shortly. But I have to ask: Does Retrospect Express 5.5 support ANY 48x CD burners? Because that's about all you can find on retail shelves these days.

Frank Catalano

The database lists some 48x Lite-Ons:

Lite-On LTR-48125W

Lite-On LTR-48126S

I recently bought the previous Lite-On 40x (125S) model since it was the only one supported by all software (Retrospect, Nero, CloneCD, EzCD, etc.) that I'm using. The practical difference between a 40x and 48x burner is pretty small, and I've got lots of older media only rated for 16x that I don't want to push my luck with (no problems at 24x & 32x).

Appreciate the info ... I'll start doing an Internet search on the Lite-On models.

Pity the Hardware Compatibility database doesn't allow a combined keyword and field search (so, say, I could search on "48" in keywords at the same time as searching for "CD-RW" and "Qualified Windows" in the field search) to more easily find current CD-RWs on the market by assuming 48x, in some field, indicates current models. But perhaps that's in the works.

I think the database works great for someone who has an existing drive and is considering purchasing Retrospect. But it's a bit difficult for those who have Retrospect and need a quick way to get a short list of current, supported hardware for doing a hardware upgrade.

Archived