XP and Colorado External

bummper

I have an external HP Colorado 14 GBe 4.01 (parallel) which is recognized in XP Pro. The tape drive worked fine previously in Win2k Pro with Restrospect 5.15 Server. I upgraded to a clean install of XP and a clean install of Restrospect Pro 6. Now the drive is unrecognized by R6, even though XP sees it as does the XP Backup utility.

I've forced an install of ASPI32 and cleared the Miniport exclusion Registry Key.

I Ctrl-Alt-P-P'd and set R6 back to NT SCSI Bypass.

I see one device in R6 that is just a line of little squares, like an unrecognized name or something. That's all I get. Other devices, CD-RW, Flash Reader and disk drives are all recognized.

I put the tape drive back on a W2k box and R 5.15 still works.

Oh yeah, I also updated R6 to the latest device list 3.3 and the R6 log said the update was complete.

In XP the drivers are as follows:

For the Atapi Port - SCM PPort ATAPI Adapter epatap2k.sys 2.04

for the tape drive - MS built-in qic157.sys 5.1.2600.0 XP

Device manager sees under Tape Drives: HP Colorado 14 GBe 4.01 (same as W2k did)

Anyone have a clue as to what's going on with R6 here?

Frustration. Well, everything works with anything BUT Retrospect 6. I just loaded Backup Exec and it works flawless. Shoulda gone there first I guess. It is definitely an R6 problem. Now I've got a $99.00 (plus tax & license) coaster on my desk. I've owned R-Express, R-Workgroup, R-Server and now R6 Pro. Lack of support with every version, yet I hung in there and eventually got them to work. But, no more.... Not even a sympathy post from anyone at Dantz. :-(

Another customer steps off the "Dantz" floor (me)... see ya around I guess.

hmmm.... dunno why. The Colorado is a valid device (and a nice tape drive, too). HP sold alot of them. The machine sees it, so did R 5.15 and it produced a driver for it, too. All you'd have to do is tweak the former driver?

Wish you would have posted this before and saved me several days of aggravation. But thank you, anyways.

Archived