Backup Set Type?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has already been covered a zillion times...

I'm trying to determine which is the best Backup Set type for backing up a network of Remote clients to an external FireWire drive. It appears to me that one could use a "Removable Disk" or "File" type Backup set with such a drive.

Can anyone shed any light on which Backup Set type might be best and why?

Thanks very much!

The answer would depend on which version of Retrospect you are using. If you have Retrospect 6.0 for Windows, you can use either Disk or File backup sets. Any other versions will require you to use File backups sets.

Disk backup sets allow Retrospect to get around operating system limitations imposed on single files (ie: File Backup Set).

Windows:

Windows 95 (FAT 16) has a File Backup Set limit of 2 GB

Windows 98, Me (FAT 32) has a File Backup Set limit of 4 GB

Windows 2000, NT, XP (NTFS) has a File Backup Set limit of 1 TB

Disk backup sets also allow the spanning of multiple volumes.

Amy,

Thanks for the reply. We're running Retrospect 4.3 in MacOS 9.1.

If I read your post correctly, you're suggesting using 'Removable Disk' backup sets for backup to an External FireWire drive?

Have any of the "operating system limitations imposed on single files" been fixed in Retrospect 5.x for Macintosh? Does this affect the type of backup set one would choose to use with an External FireWire drive(s)?

Thanks very much,

Disk backup sets are only for Retrospect 6.0 for Windows. The type you'll need is a File backup set.

File backup set functionality was dramatically improved with Retrospect 5.0. I would recommend an upgrade. Also, make sure the destination drive is formatted as Macintosh Extended.

Archived